Friday, January 29, 2016

Little Amity





This is Miss Amity, my first real attempt at making a doll from the pattern on up. She is mostly inspired by pictures of handmade cloth dolls from the mid 1800's, but once I reached her face, I couldn't help put embroider it!  I have only found a very few pictures of cloth dolls from the 1800's who's faces are not simply painted (or very beautifully painted, but I did not want to attempt that just yet!). Most of the embroidered faces I have seen are on very sweet little African American dolls, so I may have to try making a copy of one of those next. When I realized Amity was not going to be a perfect reproduction doll, I decided to just have fun experimenting, giving her hand-spun hair with a braided bun, and hands inspired by Izannah Walker dolls.
I hadn't realized that I never got a good head-to-toe picture of her, but I'll post more pictures as soon as I have her underpinnings completed ~ for now I am having a very fun time imagining tiny petticoats and miniature leather shoes!

Back to sewing for me ~ what do you all think of my little girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment