Friday, January 27, 2017

dark days

The past week has been dark and gray. The type of day when you are lucky if you see the sun or it rains ~ because it breaks the gray monotony.
We have left what I called The Year of Mortality far behind, but it never seems to have truly ended. Perhaps I just came to understand it more. But already, though my family seems to be continually faced with the fact that we are mortal.
I am sorry to have gotten so melancholy! I am not so sad as this may make me out to be! I am simply thinking melancholic thoughts lately. The last week I have been sitting vigil beside our dear old cat. He had two or more strokes last week, he started having trouble walking and suddenly went blind. There is nothing that can really be done, and so, as long as he is not in pain, we are simply waiting. And yet, with all of this, he still switches his tail in annoyance when you wake him up, and begins to purr when you talk to him.
It has actually been a sad but lovely week, spending the time caring for our Old Man, giving him broth and his favorite foods, making sure he knows he is safe and loved. Knowing that if he dies during the night, we will have done all we could, and he was happy until the end. And so, I am enjoying my quite week. It is nice not having a car, not even being able to go anywhere if I felt I should ~ because I really wanted to be home with our sweet Dominic.
Love,
Lucia Marcella


No comments:

Post a Comment